View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 05:45 AM   #4
Janet/FL

In the diet she mentions that she has 1% milk for the Conjugated linoleic acid content. I googled it and below is what Mercola has to say about it. I do find it interesting that although she does try to avoid the harmful additives found in most dairy products, I found no mention of her using organic produce. With the amount of fruits and vegetables she consumes, the amount of pesticide residue she consumes would seem to be quite high. I wonder why she didn't mention it? I am off to read her website where she probably does. Al, thanks for mentioning the soy. I am still conflicted about it.
Janet/FL

http://www.mercola.com/beef/cla.htm#

Many people are taking CLA as an expensive supplement for the benefits described below. But wouldn't it make much more sense to get it for free in your food?

There is a new reason why it may be beneficial to allow cows to graze on pasture. That reason involves a compound called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA).

CLA is a fatty acid found in beef and dairy fats. Scientific interest in CLA was stimulated in 1988 when a University of Wisconsin researcher discovered its cancer-fighting properties in a study of rats fed fried hamburger. CLA cannot be produced by the human body, but it can be obtained through foods such as whole milk, butter, beef, and lamb.

"The interesting thing is that dairy cattle that graze produce higher amounts of CLA in their milk than those which receive conserved feed, such as grain, hay, and silage," says Agricultural Research dairy scientist Larry Satter. This is true even when the nongrazers eat pasture grass conserved as hay.

Satter, who is based at the Dairy Forage Research Center in Madison, Wisconsin, conducted a study comparing the amount of CLA in milk from cows grazing on pasture to the amount from cows fed hay or silage.

His findings:

Pasture-grazed cows had 500% more CLA in their milk than those fed silage.