View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 12:46 AM   #9
sarah

Re: Are blood tests really that important in follow up care?

Hello Spitfire,
This is a difficult time for you. You've only recently been told you have cancer and gone through your treatment which can be very hard and can make you depressed. I believe you can be told you are "high risk" (because you are HER2+ and you need watching) and "don't worry, I don't think it will happen to you" (because most people with early cancer and with treatment survive and he believes you're on the path to survive) in the same breath? Some doctors just don't have the patience, training or time to talk and listen to patients. Maybe consider going to a psychologist who works with cancer patients or join a cancer support group. You already belong to this one so you can ask questions here but meeting some fellow travelers in person or talking to them on the phone might help more.
you can always go to another hospital and meet with another oncologist and see how you feel and get another opinion but don't mention the other doctor and how you feel about him, just say you want a second opinion.
They do the blood tests to be sure that your cancer markers don't start to go up steadily - they can go up and down but if they keep on a steady upward path, that's not so good. Also they like to keep an eye on your organs for any possible damage to them - maybe from the treatment or for other reasons.
Ask the nurses at the hospital what they think about this oncologist. Nurses know a lot about the people and their abilities.
I suspect you're depressed which is normal after the shock of cancer and you need a sympathetic ear to talk to and someone who has been through this journey.
You'll get through this
big hug and love
sarah

Last edited by sarah; 01-02-2015 at 12:49 AM..
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote