View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #33
rhondalea

Re: Cognitive Rehabilitation

I'm reminded that I owe an update.

The Qsymia continues to work, although the normal dose progression did not work so well for me. I'm splitting the higher dose capsules so that I continue to take what is considered the titrating dose. I'm of two minds about telling the endo I did it, although I did tell my onocologist. I've also adjusted somewhat to the topirimate, although I'd like to not take it.

I've reached a certain level of function that I can't get past. The big projects aren't started, but I'm keeping up with the small stuff. So, okay, I'm not quite as adjusted to the topirimate as I said. It's as if it fights the stimulant every step of the way. Still, I'm doing much better than I was.

I am certain that the extra iron has helped. Certainly, it has cleared up my skin issues, and my RLS is nearly gone, so I know my ferritin must be increasing. That may be part of the reason my brain is less fogged. I encourage anyone who is having symptoms of fatigue and chemobrain to have their ferritin tested. (Admittedly, my oncologist is having a fit--he wants me to have an endoscopy. He claims that there is no connection between my thyroid issues and ferritin, even bearing in mind the severe anemia I experienced during chemo. He thinks something else is going on. But I just found an old paper (1985, but it has not been superseded as far as I can tell) that seems to say he's wrong, and neither my old gastroenterologist nor my former endo agree with him, anyway. Apparently, they read the old study, which he did not. But he is young, and they were not. Moreover, my dietary habits are such that I probably have very poor iron absorption from my food--too much coffee and tea, not enough meat, too much dairy.)

I've got a call into the neuropsychiatrist, but he's apparently a loose cannon, so I may have to wait a while. I'm thinking of looking for someone else, but I don't know where to start--which has been the problem all along.

I started speech therapy. The therapist is a treasure--young and infectiously enthusiastic. I'll post more on the progress with that after a few sessions. This should help not only in the area of a "cease babble," but in better organizing what's in my head.

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote