View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Tsh low -- what does it mean?

Thank you, Rhonda for the link. Very edifying.

I'll search my "files" for TPO, thyroglobulin (neither rings a bell in my head). Am also interested if I was ever tested for iodine as I've been complaining of low energy for 5 yrs (w/first endo lady who was the best and now gone endo lady who is/was such a bad match for me). Been saying I feel hypo, but told I am hyper...

I have cut back on my immune booster w/200 mcg selenium as of last night (take on empty stomach)!! I was thinking my body was sending me that message for a while, as I get crampy (IBS) when I take it. Well, I get crampy all the time, so... But I got YOUR message Rhonda loud and clear.

Dr. Andrew Weil says selenium has antioxidant effects that help the body address cellular damage from free radicals. One of its most valuable roles is as a cofactor of an important antioxidant enzyme in the body called glutathione peroxidase.

Selenium helps support a strong immune system, regulates thyroid function, and may help reduce the risk of some cancers. It also plays a role in the prevention of cataracts and heart disease.

Weil takes 200 mcg a day and that's what he recommends.

My endo has been testing for A1C, FT3 and FT4 (though as I said I can't find any of the 3 #s) and TSH. Not much else. Will check older records of 1st great endo lady to see if I at least have a base line.

I am posting my supplements list below!

Since I've been taking my supplements since 1998 and my thyroid #s were normal/fine till about a yr ago, shortly after going on a new supplement for hot flashes of 27 yrs, I would be surprised if new low TSH #s come from tried and true supplements. I stopped the new supplement within 2 mnths -- was cured of hot flashes!!!!!!!!! -- and have retested sev x, w/the #s I posted above in previous post.

Have had the hypertension since I was in my 40s. Now 69. High bp ev x I saw doc was dismissed as, You're probably nervous. Then at end of visit would retest bp and still wayyy high. Dismissed again.

Finally, I was told to take my bp at home. We have a machine. Come back in a mnth. Brought 3x a day readout for a mnth to doc. He said my machine must be broken!

My husb agreed and bought a new machine!

When I had a D&C in '93, I brought the anesthesiologist a wk's work of 3 x a day readout of my bp. I was scared.

After surgery, I was told I needed to see a cardiologist cause even under anesthesia -- my bp was high!!!

Women were/are not taken seriously as heart attack risks!!! Crazy!!!

When I had my records transferred from awful endo lady, I called previous best ever endo lady. She's not taking new patients but loved my husband and me and would take us. However, from what I told her, she said I would need a lot of testing and follow up and I/we can't commit to regular 1 hr trips to Miami. I had thought a one time visit would be helpful.

No a 3 hr trip to your fab endo lady isn't in us. But thanks for suggestion(s), Rhonda!

I responded earlier today to you and everyone who was kind enough to post in this TSH thread, but as I hurried out the door to my annual ophthalmologist appt, I accidentally hit a wrong button and deleted 30 minutes of my life! Don't you hate when that happens?! Ugh...

Aussie, I see you too know a lot on this subject. Why I have not been tested for antibodies is roiling me at this point. Hello. My Sisters know this, why not you doc??!!

Will get 2nd opinion mid Dec. Friday the 13th. 13 is my lucky #...!!!

I'll take your advice and stick with my program for now so as not confuse any future bld results... Though I have cut my selenium in half!!

I doubt I get sufficient nutrition from my diet as b/c of IBS I have a very long list of trigger foods.

I do eat fish. No fruit. Some veggies. NO nuts. NO corn. And the list goes on...

Hopeful, curious what the 3 antibodies you were tested for were?

I thought once you were on Synthroid, you can never go off?

So many interesting thoughts circulating here!!

Yes, 'Lizbeth, I avoid salt.

Your back and forth w/doc is almost comical. Yet pathetic...
Docs need to "focus".

For my fatigue I take a powder w/OJ ea AM (for chronic fatigue), B-12 lozenge (3,000) and Tyrosine (500). Not sure Tyrosine is in my supplement list below, but it helps boost me up. I would be a total slug without these helpers.

For aches and pains -- Co Enz Q10 -- 150 AM/PM -- Carnitine -- 500 AM/PM -- Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 AM/PM. MAKES A BIGGG DIFFERENCE!

Can't eat nuts, 'Lizbeth, which I adore! Am high just above normal range glucose always. Was gestational diabetic, delivering 2 dghtrs ('68 and '70) @ 9 lbs 13 oz and 9 lbs 10 oz. Their normal head size saved me, but I was pretty torn up.

On Byetta injections twice a day to keep me from becoming diabetic. Am holding at just above normal on glucose...

Yes, 'Lizbeth, I said to my husb that I think she wanted the thyroid U/S (never discussed w/me but directed to do so my a staffer in a 30 sec 700 mpm phone call) cause of $$$. Done in her office.'

Again, I do so appreciate all of you taking the time and trouble to help me with my issue of the day.

This is a hurdle I am just flummoxed by. Surgery last June for my mesentery mass mystery which was B 9....!!! And my surgery in August for my other something new w/clear mammo but not so w/U/S (which I request cause lobular hides -- and apparently all w/dense breasts have hidden stuff) also B 9...!!!

Stable since '99. After 10 yrs on Vit H, now 5 yrs off, I was feeling not cocky, but comfortable. Still shaken by the trauma around the surgery (pre and post) and the 5 days waiting for needle biopsy results (really sweating that out over a long weekend), now dealing w/my thyroid issue.

AND THE AMAZING THING IS -- I FEEL GOOD. HEALTHY AND WELL. Just not enough pep. Same problem since my teens.
Chemo sure didn't help. Which you all know. And the emotional toll of dealing w/4th stage bc is a really big too, which you all also know all too well!!

With my love, as always,

Andi

PS -- Rhonda, can't believe all you know and do and have been through! You sound somewhat like me in the OCD department. But I could never keep track of all my nutrients. It's all I can do to stick w/my program. I am religious about taking my supplements. I believe they are essential to my health.

HERE'S MY LIST -- geez almost forgot! Please don't freak out when you see this list. I think of it as my lifeline, my maintenance therapy. I perceive these supplements as I do my bld pressure meds -- essential to my health and well-being.

Yes, I know lots of people think I'm crazy. But I am still here! Against all odds. And this is what I believe has helped bring me to this day...

Acidophilus 15/35 AM/PM -- probiotic for controlling
digestive IBS issues
Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 AM/PM -- detoxifies liver, antioxidant, neutralizes free radicals, protects cells from damage -- AND RELIEVES MUSCLE PAIN -- IN COMBINATION WITH THE NEXT 2:

Co-Enzyme Q10 -- 150 AM/PM -- which also enhances immune system, prevents cancer cell proliferation, energizes, healthy heart, good gums -- RELIEVES MUSCLE PAIN --

IN COMBINATION WITH Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 and L-Carnitine 500 AM/PM

L- Carnitine 500 AM/PM -- assists gastric absorption, energizes, heart healthy, immune booster -- RELIEVES MUSCLE PAIN
Arginine 500 sustained and immediate release AM --
strengthens heart, elevates EF
B-1, B-2, B-5 -- 100 ea
B-6 50 AM, heart healthy, energizes, helps repair nerve damage, good for skin
B-12 sublingual (3,000) -- energy
Chromium Piccolinate 400 AM
Potassium Albion 99 AM/PM

WHEN I HAVE MY COMPREHENSIVE BLOOD WORK DONE I ASK THAT B-12 AND D BE INCLUDED SO I CAN KEEP TABS ON BEING IN THE NORMAL RANGE. I save every report ever written about me and keep them in a NO MORE CANCER file at home. I compare the new with the last, line by line.

That is how I -- yes "I" -- found my metastases. Asked for liver sono, which led to CT which led to biopsy. My tumor markers were still within normal range. But my liver enzymes were ever so slightly different from MY USUAL. Doc kept saying, I wouldn't worry about it. It is very very slight. Well, YOUR #s generally follow a trend. If they vary, I see red flags. Just saying...

C-1,000 w/bioflavonoids 1,000 -- enhances immune system, reduces recurrence of cancer
Calcium 1200 -- easy to swallow gel capsule increases
bone density
D-3 -- 50,000 a week. I take 10,000 over 5 days a week. For healthy bones, blocks breast cancer cell growth, meets your body's organs increasing need for D as we age. BE KIND TO YOUR ORGANS. THEY DEPEND ON YOU.
Phenalalanine 500 AM empty stomach -- mood enhancer

Folate w/Quatrefolic 400 mcg AM empty stomach --
heart healthy, red blood booster
Gingko Biloba Extract 60 AM/PM -- mental alertness
Grapeseed Extract 150 AM -- anti-oxidant, can cross blood-brain barrier and protect brain and spinal nerves against free radical damage, enhances anti-tumor effect, protects liver, strengthen connective tissue, including heart system, supports immune system and slows aging

Resveratrol 250 AM/PM -- anti-oxidant, heart healthy, anti-cancer, HER2 blocker

NAC (N-Acetyle Cysteine) 600 AM -- supports healthy liver function, rids body of toxins

NADH -5Co Engzyme 1 (AM/PM) 1/2 hr before eating -- relieves chronic fatigue, boosts mental acuity

Omega 3 - 2,126 -- suppresses tumors, inhibits their growth, may slow or prevent recurrence of cancer, improves blood glucose, good for muscle/joint pain, anti-inflammatory, down regulates HER2 receptor

DIM-Plus (Diindolylmethane) 100 AM/PM -- metabolizes
estrogen

Phyto Formula -- 1 scoop w/OJ -- promotes energy BIG TIME, reduces chronic fatigue, boosts immune system and increases mental clarity + 1 banana a day!

RM-10 Garden of Life Immune System Mushroom Blend VEGETARIAN CAPSULES -- AM on empty stomach -- I take 1 --expensive but powerful in regulating and stimulating the immune system, anti-oxidant, detoxifier, reduces recurrence of bc --
WITH 200 mcg SELENIUM
ZINC 30 anti-cancer

Grapeseed Extract 150 AM -- anti-oxidant, enhances anti-tumor effect, protects liver, strengthens connective tissue, including heart system, supports immune system, slows aging

Glutamine -- 500 AM empty stomach -- assists gastro absorption, energizes
Lysine 500 AM empty stomach -- assists gastro absorption, energizes
NAC (N- Acetyl Cysteine) 600 AM -- supports liver function, rids body of toxins
Echinacea w/goldenseal 900 AM/PM -- 1 wk on / 1 wk off -- alternate w/
Astragalus

Flaxseed Oil 1,000 AM -- heart healthy, anti-cancer, detoxifies, improves brain function, helps painful, severely dry eyes since Taxotere '98

Thanks for reading all this, if you've actually made it this far... (((((( )))))) You are a most special, extraordinary person!!! And I am so grateful you're in my life!!!!!!!!!!
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote