View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
'lizbeth

Re: Tsh low -- what does it mean?

Andi,

Have you been avoiding salt because of your high blood pressure?

See - that cracks me up. I've had this conversation before with my medical team.

Doctor, I've been taking Kelp for breast pain - do you think I'm deficient in iodine? I've been tested for hypothyroid several times over the last few years, and iodine deficiency has been linked to breast cancer.

Oh you get plenty of iodine in your diet from iodized salt.

But doctor, you told me to avoid salt because I have high blood pressure.

Oh. Subject dropped.

These daily recommended intakes are just that - recommendations. As you can see everyone is so different. If one supplements with too much selenium - it causes problems. Me - with too little selenium and iodine (kelp) and I have fatigue and pain. But since you and Rhondalea both have a tendency toward high blood sugar - you might want to consider reducing supplementing selenium and eat more brazil nuts.

I do find it interesting that an endocrinologist would not actually test for levels of iodine if you seem to have hypothyroid and a history of breast cancer. It makes me suspicious of an expert who would insist on expensive and possibly harmful tests before offering a simple urine test. But this is something that likely should have been done years ago, and now you have these nodules, yikes!

AussieGirl - the system must be different in Australia. I saw a nutritionist and I was never tested for my iodine levels. I'm not comfortable with just assuming, even if the medical community is.

Well Andi I'm glad you are firing your concierge endocrinologist. Bleh, not for you!

You can eat more ocean caught fish and decrease exposure to goitrogens to see how you feel with the fatigue. Avoid pastries and breads processed with bromide. Reduce exposure to fluoride in water and toothpaste. Reduce exposure to chloride. Eat less cabbage, brussel sprouts, and broccoli.

I think not switching up things with supplements before testing again at the new and improved endocrinologist is sound advice. And listing them for our thyroid savy members might help find culprits that are getting your thyroid counts off.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote