Thread: Weight Gain
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
NEDenise

Re: Weight Gain

Penny...Hunny...under the heading of "misery loves company"...let me share...

I am 5 foot 8. At the beginning of this nightmare, two years ago...I was 153 pounds, and a slim size 10, that I did absolutely nothing to maintain. The ballooning began almost immediately upon the introduction of the first chemo drug and has not slowed one iota!

At my last weigh-in, I tipped the scales at 207 pounds! On a good day...my steroid bloated belly can be squeezed into a size 16 slacks. Otherwise...look for me in granny-worthy stretchy things. It's okay though...because my swollen face looks so other-wordly...I don't think anyone notices what I'm wearing anyway.

Diet and exercise? Yep...got that covered. Better at that than I've ever been...lotta good it's doing my figure. I do think it's helping inside though. I try to tell myself that someday...this too shall pass...but sheesh, it sucks right now.

So for now...I try to hear my Aunt Mary's voice in my head...she used to refer to herself as "Fat and Jolly"...and she was, God Bless her! I'd rather be thin and jolly...but that's just vanity talking. My doctors don't see the extra weight as anything to even comment on. So...for now...I'll just keep avoiding mirrors, and scales.

I hope my company in your misery helps!
Love and prayers are always headed your way!
Denise

PS - I remember "New Jersey and you-perfect together"! Governor Tom Kean....right? Makes me crave a Jersey tomato sandwich right this very minute!!
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote