View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: When cancer cells die, how does it feel?

I think a large part of success is kicking our immune systems into gear. If on chemo, my nutritional oncologist -- THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TIME YOU NEED THE SUPPLEMENTS. Chemo comprises the immune system and that is so not good for outcome.

So if we must be on chemo, we must conjunctively do everything we can to enhance our immune system -- so we feel better and have a better fighting chance of dealing with the effects of chemo on our bodies.

And don't forget the effects on our psyche. When we are in a lot of pain, daily, lacking energy, up all night stressed out and worrying about the WHAT IFS and how many tomorrows we have -- the stress and fatigue from lack of only serve to hamper our attempts at achieving wellness, NED.

I don't think I'd be here today if I hadn't used all the supplements to mitigate the damage of chemo on all my body functions. Exhaustion alone is a major downer. We get tired of saying and thinking how tired we are. We feel kvetchy. We have every right to ask for help so we can function as normally as we possibly can.

There are supplements to counteract that, to build up our flagging immune system to help us win the battle. To keep our hearts strong. To detoxify our livers and blood. To assist organ function. To relieve deep muscle pain in our limbs. To help gastro issues that erupt with chemo. To help suppress turmors, inhibit their growth, slow or prevent recurrence, have anti-inflammatory benefits that are essential to feeling well and fighting off infection.

My fav onc says, YOU SHOULD NEVER SUFFER. That's why we have pills. Take them. That's why we offer them to you. Help yourself. At the first sign of pain, take a pain pill. If you wait, it won't be as effective. I found he was right. He gave permission to nurse myself and care for myself with the attention I'd expect from a private nurse. I'd keep a list of meds and the time I took it. I made my own chart. So, even when not clear headed, groggy, sapped of all energy, I was on top of my case.

If you catch something odd, as I did, with what felt like a really really itchy bug bite on my belly, I was lucky I mentioned it and found out fast that I had shingles. The sooner you find it and get on the meds for it, plus the supplements -- you can break records getting rid of that seriously agonizing affliction and move on to what you need to do -- kick cancer in the butt!

Keep on top of everything weird. Make lists. Share them with docs. Not to whine. To do your job -- and report things as soon as possible. That simple thing can make a whole world of difference.

If you need help in the form of an anti-depressant -- ask for it. If you need help sleeping (there are anti-anxiety meds in addition to sleeping aids). You truly need your sleep. Studies show T cell counts decrease if you become sleep deprived. That is a sign of an immune system in need of help. T cells are essential to help fight off nasty microbes, infections, the waste of dying cells.

Supplements enhance the immune system -- which is a critical part of the equation for reaching remission. Supplements help bones stay healthy, block bc cell growth, elevate mood (Phenylalanine), decrease tumor burden, fight off free radicals, strengthen connective tissue, slow aging, protect the liver, rids the body of toxins, detoxifies kidney, lungs, bowels and blood stream, support liver function, offer mental clarity, full of anti-oxidants, calm excited brain activity. There are supplements to fight off chronic fatigue.

We're all going through various forms of hell. We need help. Top docs and nurses, meds, supplements, ways to cope, meditation and/or yoga, interactivity with family and friends, hugs, laughter, smiles, love, support, ways to ease our pain (body/mind/spirit).

TAKE GOOD CARE OF "YOU". BE GOOD TO YOURSELF.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote