View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
AlaskaAngel

Question Re: more on how ER+her2+ breast cancer differs from ER-her2+ bc

Thanks for that info, Lani. Given that I am one of those who never did trastuzumab but was HER2+++ with a tumor over 1 cm and who has not recurred, I wonder if it is only the trastuzumab that was not needed for me or whether the new info is also an indicator that chemo was/is not needed for those patients, because of the lack of research documenting the need for chemo to be given in addition to trastuzumab.

I DID do 1 3/4 years of tamoxifen (the last part at half dose), but have never needed an AI, either.

But I also have to add into my own situation the question as to whether the steroids given with chemo may have actually been a/and/or/the basis for my lack of recurrence, since they reduce inflammation and inflammation is a major aspect of cancer. In my case, in order for me to tolerate the chemotherapy, they had to double my dose of steroids given concurrently with the chemo. (At the same time, I have felt that steroids increased the postmenopausal weight gain that then increased my risk post-chemo!)

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote