View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
'lizbeth

Re: RECONSTRUCTION warning, wish i knew

I had severe back pain and found accupunture very helpful, not pain from the reconstruction but another cause.

After taking 10 Advil per day for about 1 - 2 years I tried 6 visits with the acupuncturist. I also received some vigorous massage from the acupuncturist. The pain was totally relieved for about 2 years. Then I went back for another session.

I typically only have minor issues usually for too much of a workout these days.

I see you are receiving myofascial release, but I feel that neuromuscular therapy could be a more appropriate modality. Where is the pain? A contracted muscle spindle will refer pain to another area. Is your therapist familiar with working trigger points?

The Latissimus Dorsi muscle originates at the bottom of the scapula, the spinous processes of the last six thoracic vertebra, last three or four ribs, thoracolumbar aponeurosis and posterior iliac crest. The muscle inserts into the Intertubercular goove of the Humerus.

Lat. Dorsi extends the shoulder, adducts and medially rotates the shoulder.

The Teres Major is nicknamed "lat's little helper" because it is a complete synergist. This muscle originates on the bottom and outer edge of the scapula and inserts on the lesser tubercle of the humerus.

If you remove the Lat Dorsi, the Teres Major will be forced to make up for it's loss.

I checked the referred pain patterns and the Teres Major trigger points typically refers pain into the shoulder. The Lat. Dorsi trigger points refer pain into the mid back at the lower scapula and at the waist.

You can try reaching back, finding the outside edge of the scapula and try squeezing the tissue between it and the axilla to find trigger points. If you find a tendor point or a trigger point hold the spot gently for 30 - 60 seconds or less if it changes. If it worsens lighten the pressure.

Hope this helps and that you find the help that you need.

Get better soon!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote