View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
roz123
Senior Member
 
roz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 199
Re: Second guessing myself

hi there
this is a reallytough decision, one that i struggled with. I actually made the decision to do prophy bilateral msx after I completed all treatment. I wanted to wait to make sure that I was not making the decision based on fear and not on facts. The facts are that msx or lump plus rads are the same in terms of survival. The reasons I made the decisions (and these are personal ones)
1. I am young aswell (43) and figure I haven't even hit my high risk BC years so I want to reduce my risk of a new breast cancer
2. Doctors have told me my risk for a new primary is 20% - which may or may not seem high to some but I only had a 3% risk factor for getting BC at my age in the first place (zero family history, no risk factors other than dense breasts) so to me that number seems really high
3. Being her2, even if i was watched really closely on the remaining healthy breast and a new cancer was discovered, unless it was dcis or extremely tiny (under 3mm) then I would get chemo again.
I would speak to your doctors about what your lifetime risk is of getting a new primary, that may or may not help your decision. Like the others have said you can wait if you have any doubts and do the other side at a later date once you have had more time to think about it.
__________________
diagnosed aug/11
right breast IDC 2.2 cm LVI
neoadjuvant fecx3, tax and her x3
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote