View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
karen z

Re: Wondering ...how many of you

Hi.
I was diagnosed at age 53 but still having periods (until that first round of chemo!!!). My oncologist had me on Tamoxifen for two years and I am now coming up on five years of Femara (so have had seven years of something or other). My doc was fine with me getting off Femara after four years but I talked to Eric Winer last year at SABCS and he said he would keep me on for an additional year (that would be until this upcoming January) and then "call it a day". My oncologist was fine with this recommendation. So, I am due to go off Femara (unless I insist on staying on longer or new results come in related to the issue) in just a few months. I am nervous to go off Femara although a bit bolstered by EW's recommendation last year. I will be listening carefully to what is being said on this issue this year at SABCS. I am guessing I will try to hunt down EW again !!! Right now, my oncologist (who has always been very aggressive with me- I had Herceptin/chemo for early stage in 2005) does not seem to be keeping people on AIs longer than 5 years. So, I am confused and will continue to investigate. I tolerate Femara well although do have joint issues. So far, my bone density scans have been normal. I am not sure how helpful this (o.k., I am confused still) but this is what I know so far.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote