View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
carolanno

Re: once again, ER+her2+ breast cancer is found to behave differently than ER-her2+

My primary tumor in 1998 was ER-, recurrent tumor in 2001 was ER-. Malignant lymph node 10 years later in 2011 was ER+, 50-100%, intermediate intensity. This info never got to my treatment team so they went with the cytology result of ER- and considered it a second recurrence. In June of this year, another breast tumor appeared that was also ER- from biopsy results. Once I discovered node was actually ER+, I asked to have breast tumor sample tested and it came back weakly ER+. A retest of the node was 11-50%, weak intensity. So the questions are: 1) Was this a new primary? 2) How stable and reliable is ER status? 3) Did my tumor cells find something else to drive them when HER2 was weakened by treatment? 4) Will I benefit from hormone therapy? Two oncologists feel that Her2 status is the defining marker so it's probably all the same disease. A third oncologist suggested my progression acted like an ER+ tumor progression and thought the primary must have been ER+ too. Given my experience, your post caught my eye. I'm not sure where I fall prognostically now. Can you tell me where I can read that article? Do you have any other references? Anyone else out there have changes or inconsistencies in ER status? Thanks!
carolanno is offline   Reply With Quote