View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #32
NEDenise

Re: My Freak Accident

Is it any wonder I love you guys!?
With everything else you have going on...you still reach out to me. If someone had told me 2 years ago that I would feel genuine love and friendship for a group of people I'd never actually met...I'd have rolled my eyes, and thought, "Yeah, right...and tomorrow night, the sun's gonna set in my back pocket.
But, here we are...and once again, I find myself feeling cyberhugs coming at me from my HER2 friends all over the world.
God is certainly good.
And I love my life!

And that's not the drugs talking either! As Jackie pointed out...I'm being "polished up again"!! At this point parts of me have achieved a nice high gloss...but it sets off all the bruises rather nicely, even if I do say so myself.

Since the ER doc's face went all ashen as he looked at my x-ray...and he said, "you really need someone who's dealt with a break this bad before, to fix this."
"I wouldn't mess around out here, in the suburbs", he continued, Get one of the guys in the city...and soon."
"This has to be fixed by the end of the week, or you might not ever regain full use of that hand."
...I got the idea this was not something to take lightly. Naturally, I then found the humor in it anyway...and posted the highlights for all of you to enjoy! (I know, you're all shocked by this! Since I'm usually so serious about things!) I'm sorry if I made anyone worry. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to share the whole mess with all of you.

To those of you who sent compliments about my story telling...thank you, sincerely. I'm very flattered by your praise. To those of you who smiled, or laughed...thanks to you too...I really like to make people laugh...especially at my own goofiness.
And, for all of you who sent warm wishes and prayers...thank you, thank you, thank you!

So...here's the latest in my saga...

I saw the surgeon late yesterday afternoon...nice man, very compassionate. And, my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning...at his insistence. (His scheduler initially said next Tuesday was the earliest opening in his schedule. He said, "Move something, this can't wait.")
He's done many, many breaks like this one, but said the pieces of my bone have migrated into the actual wrist joint...making my case a little bit of a challenge. And, yes, if you're wondering, it's every bit as painful as it sounds...and twice as disgusting to look at!

Thank you Jesus for modern medicine! (Again!) Fifty years ago...if BC didn't finish me off before this spectacular feat of acrobatic bowling prowess occurred...I would have had to live out my days with a disfigured and virtually useless hand.

Instead, I'll be able to set off TSA alarms from 50 paces... because they'll be reinforcing my poor bone with a metal plate, and a bunch of screws.

The bad news yesterday was that the osteopenia I knew I had...has progressed to the full-blown osteoporosis I've been dreading. So, once my arm heals, I'll be looking into some fairly aggressive treatment to try to prevent more of these pesky fractures.

At least it wasn't my lymphedema arm...which is also the hand I write with...but that means for the next 6-8 weeks...I don't have a "good" arm to do things with. It also means I can't put on, or take off my compression sleeve by myself. Sheesh!

Today's conundrum is...I can't take Advil for the pain, because of the risk of bleeding during surgery tomorrow. And while Percocet makes me sleepy...it really doesn't to anything to alleviate my pain. So...
whiney,
whiney,
moan, complain,
whine some more...
my aaaaaaaarm hurts.
Thanks for letting me share that...I feel much better now.

I'll let you know how things work out tomorrow. Prayers would be most appreciated!

Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote