Thread: who is lani?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
Jackie07

Re: who is lani?

Lani's statement on 9-1-2009:

"I have no qualifications to make my opinion worth anything--having just read a lot of the medical literature and had an active imagination.}}"

2-05-2006:

"I am not an attorney--just recording what I have gleened over the years."

2-03-2011:

"I almost NEVER make any recommendations on this site, but I would seriously recommend you reconsider your decision to do ..."

2-22-2011:

"I met Dr. Juliann Smith at the lunch table betweeen sessions at a conference hosted by Dr. Neil Love in May 2005. She was one of maybe 100 participants in the audience. It was at this conference that Dr. Love met her as well and decided to let her tell her story in his audio journal. Here is a bit of the dialogue--feel free to google and listen to the full audio as it is quite moving, especially when she discusses her experience with chemo.

Every person who has unexpectedly stepped off the edge of this planet into the bottomless pit of life-threatening illness knows that the view from down there is very different and that no amount of bargaining with whatever or whomever one believes in changes the reality that to survive, it is essential to be able to reach inside to find faith and courage."

At the Genentech stockholders' meeting (I am not one) they were asked about their post-marketing surveillance and described their's (finding out what problems people were having with their drugs after clinical trials are over and they are being used by greater numbers of people--when more people take a drug, new problems are usually discovered which may be rare or only happen in a subgroup of patients).

5-2011

"Have a different story.
Repost of one of threads I started:

Lani

more in the "soy saga"

I had been under the impression that whether or not soy might increase or decrease the chance of recurrence of bc was related to ER/PR status but now two studies one out of Japan and one out of Korea (below) say soy's effect on recurrence more likely depends on tumor's her2 status. The article below is based on a small number of patients, but the full article refers to the Japanese study and is very interesting...

Nutr Cancer. 2012 Jan 2. [Epub ahead of print]
Differential Influence of Dietary Soy Intake on the Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence Related to HER2 Status."

1-2-2005

"Previous comments have been made on the need to be discriminating when reading articles on breast cancer studies performed in vitro(in petri dishes or test tubes) or in vivo (in rats or mice usually) utilizing breast cancer cell lines. One thread recently posted on this site had to do with whether flaxseed was good or bad for her2+ breast cancer and listed a study performed by someone in Nutritional science on a breast cancer cell line implanted in mice that turned out to be both estrogen negative AND her2 negative!

I found a nice list of breast cancer cell lines which specify whether or not they are her2+. It still does not tell which are ER+, but it will help one spot right away whether the study was done on her2+ or her2- breast cancer cells and thus help those of you with her2 positive breast cancer have an idea whether the study has any likelihood of providing information useful to your case"

[And we have thought Greg (gdpawel)was the one taught us about the difference between 'in vitro' and 'in vivo'... Jackie07]

Quoted by NEDenise recently:

Hi All!
Here are Lani's instructions, copied from another thread, about how to find info about [x, y, and z].

"go to the yellow bar above and click on search.

put in Lani xyz (that should cover the subject in the search) I have provided info from at least a dozen articles over the years I would think

Otherwise be a DIY (do it yourselfer) and go to google and put in
Entrez Pub Med
once you get the right entry click on it and put
erbb2 [= Her2] xyz into the search box

you will find hundreds if not thousands of articles"

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 05-27-2012 at 04:22 PM..