View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
bevilj

Re: Managing Energy and Diet

Hi Alicia,

I think both diet and exercise are important during/after treatment. Having said that, I'm not the best example of what to do at all times.

I used to be very active but find that with each treatment I can't do as much as I want to. But, I do what I can, when I can. I try to walk / hike regularly but some days I don't feel up to it, so I don't. I ride my bike some days and ski or kayak also. I don't do any of these activities with the endurance or strength that I used to but I find that just getting out and doing something makes me feel better physically and mentally. When I was in IV chemo, I was only able to walk short distances but since then, I can do more and have even run some races along the way. Currently, I'm rebounding from a treatment that has left me wiped out so I'm working on getting back to routine exercise again.

As for the diet, I haven't had much of an appetite through it all. As my onc has told me, eat whatever sounds good to you (spicy food is my fave!), regardless of what others might tell you to eat. That is supposed to help boost your appetitie.

Over the last several months, I have lost a bit of weight and am now considered 'under weight'. I'm trying to remind myself to eat small meals / snacks throughout the day instead of putting all the pressure on eating 3 bigger meals (when I am not hungry and can't eat much). I am focusing on protein and fats and carbs to help me gain and have a little success in the last week.

I start everyday with a smoothie full of yogurt, juice and my favorite fruits. I eat toast with nutella or pistachios or a handful of garbanzo beans as snacks. I usually have leftovers or a creamy soup or cheese sandwich for lunch and another snack before dinner. I have no desire to cook these days so dinners are either something easy and family friendly or cooked by my husband. I finish everyday with ice cream or a milkshake.

We try to buy 'whole' foods, we don't buy a lot of processed items, and we buy organic when it makes sense for us. While I think this approach is good for me, it also poses problems since 'whole' foods equate to 'preparation needed'. If you're not able to figure out what sounds good to you, or how to combat side effects, there are some great websites / cookbooks out there that offer recipe ideas to help you through your treatment as well (Eating well through Cancer, caring4cancer.com).

I wish you well in your journey, Jen
10/09 - Started Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin, Zometa. Hospitalized with Tetany.
1/10 - Finished Taxotere, Carbo, continued Herceptin, Zometa. PET/CT - improvement.
2-3/10 - Rads (25 rounds).
8/10 – inflammation vs. malignancy?
1/11 – progression. started Xeloda.
9/11 – progression. pancreatitis or tumor? Chest ‘rash’ appeared.
10/11 – confirmed pancreatitis. Halted Xeloda.
11/11 – skin mets confirmed.
12/11 - started Tykerb, back on Xeloda.
1/12 – cut Xeloda dose in ½. skin mets fading!
4/12 - no more Xeloda. skin mets resolved.
8/12 - brain mets found.
9/12 - gamma knife and fractionated brain radiation.
1/13 - progression throughout body. brain mets shrunk/resolved. no more Tykerb.
2/13 - starting T-DM1 trial.
bevilj is offline   Reply With Quote