View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
'lizbeth

Re: Denied a massage because of my cancer...

Jessica,

I see that you are on Herceptin from an earlier post today. I would have a serious discussion with my oncologist about the type of massage that would be indicated or contraindicated.

Many of our treatment choices are with drugs that are cardiotoxic, Herceptin, Adriamycin, etc. We cancer survivors go through regular Muga scans during Herceptin to check the function of our LVEF. If the function of the left ventricle of the heart is compromised, moving lymph fluids and blood back to the heart with circulatory massage could be a contraindication. Having LMTs inexperienced with cancer providing massage concerns me. Expecting massage as a stage IV cancer survivor without a doctor's release and oversight - why risk it?

I hear your anger, and yet am personally am offended by the comments you made about the staff at Massage Envy. Yes, they don't have a full understanding of massage and cancer.

I can tell you that at the school I attend there is a 3 month course on working with cancer survivors. The Physiology Pathology books have about 1000 pages of information. Massage therapists are not doctors - and the expectation for a massage therapist to have expertise in every medical condition with 250 to 1000 hours of training seems unrealistic to me.

I heartily endorse massage for cancer patients & survivors. And I applaud you for finding a massage therapist that helps you on your journey of healing.

I just ask you to step back and channel your anger into a more helpful emotion. Is there a more positive way that we cancer survivors can all work together to develop a method of educating massage therapists on the benefits and cautions that are specific to our cancer experience?

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote