View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Ellie F

Bugs and more bugs!

Hi all,
Not been posting like usual as have been in hospital for a week with a central line infection.
Started off on the big gun antibiotics as they were really concerned about the severity of the infection systemically.
As part of the plan I was given iv vancomycin and proceeded to go into anaphylactic shock which was very scary.Fortunately the response from the staff couldn't have been better and an hour later I was feeling more 'normal' again.
My friend read me Coolbreeze's post about c diff which really made me take note of everything and everyone looking after me.
Eventually the bugs were identified and after 2 days on the right antibiotics I am now home on oral meds.
Interestingley the bugs are quite unusual strains but are sensitive to common antibiotics.
The microbiologist was certain I had picked them up from the hospital whilst having herceptin.
So after agonising for months the line is out and I am having a power port fitted as soon as all the infection is cleared.
I wanted to share this as though obviously not as serious as what happened to Coolbreeze nevertheless shows you can't be too careful when receiving treatment!
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote