Thread: Women under 40
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #25
Survivor2be

Re: Women under 40

I have been fighting BC for a year now and am stage IV with brain mets. I am 34 and my children are 10, 6, 4. I did chemo, then surgery, then rads before it went to the brain. Up to that point, I think my age helped keep life "normal" for everyone. I worked, took care of the kids, house, husband. Now, I had TONS of support! I live with my mother-in-law, and brother/sister live like next door. They all helped tremendously keeping my girls lives unchanged. But I think being young and focused on our families is both good and bad.
Good: keeps you focused on recovery and moving forward becmause you do things fur them. Helped me stay positive to be a good example.
Bad: I didn't have tone to focus on me. Like eat right, rest, exercise, destress. I just keep going and working and refusing to slow down.

Now that I'm facing an "uncurable but treatable" disease, things have changed. I have more surgery and chemo to face. I'm tired and I can't do the things I did just last year. But we will have a new normal. A mom with less distractions. I may not get all their things packed and ready for school, but I will present for them. That's the main lesson im learning right nuw: stop multi-tasking and focus!!! Was always hard!!

The other issue for us spring chickens is survivorship. I'm not talking 5-10 years like all cancer studies talk about, we are looking at 30+!!! Right!!! I wanna see info about that, and what makes us special!!

Good luck Kristin with your treatments and decisions about kids. I struggle with the guilt of putting my 3 girls through the future stress of BC. I mean, if I had it at 33, do they need to be worried at 23???? But they have kept me strong!!
Tissue expanders and fill
Radiation to breast and axilla

Breast recurrence on radiation: 9/2011 now HER2 +
This time HER2 positive, started herceptin

Brain metastasis: 10/2011
Surgery to remove lesion 11/2011

All cancer gone 11/17/2011

Confident I will outlive my oncologist!!!
Survivor2be is offline   Reply With Quote