View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
patz64

Re: In the hospital and need advice

To Suzanne,

Had you considered a DIEP flap? They don't cut your muscles for that, but it is a very long surgery, because they do microsurgery to transplant fat and skin from your abdomen (but they leave the muscle alone, unlike a TRAM flap where they take the abdominal muscle). Also, I was told that with the latissimus dorsi flap, they often need to use an implant along with the flap because they don't get enough volume with just the muscle from the back.
I live in NJ, and flew all the way to San Antonio to have my DIEP flap done. Unfortunately I had complications, where the flap started to fail and they had to rush me in for emergency surgery, and then I had complications with my lungs. But I am happy with the results, and was very happy with the doctor. I did not want to have any muscles cut, and we never even tried an implant because I had a lot of damage from radiation that i had 4 years prior.
I just want to make sure you are aware of all your options.
Good luck with the surgery, and keep us posted!
Pat
5/2011-stereotactic biopsy: stage 0 carcinoma L. breast again, estrogen/progesterone negative. Nobody used the words Her2+ yet.
8/18/2011-travelled to Texas (I live in NJ) for bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction with DIEP flap. 3 days later, left breast turned blue...had emergency surgery to unclog vessel and try to save the flap. 24 hours after that, had another emergency surgery... took a vein from my left arm and re-routed it to the breast. Saved the breast flap but went into congestive heart failure because of all the IV fluids. Spent 10 days in ICU...8 days on a ventilator. Traumatic experience!!! Then was told it was actually Stage 2, Her2+, and I would need chemo.
Now back in NJ.
10/11/11-port was placed
chemo starting in about 2 weeks
patz64 is offline   Reply With Quote