View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
snolan

Re: In the hospital and need advice

I developed an infection the day after they pulled the drains out on my L (involved side) My PS recommended that we take the expander out which would mean that I could not put it back in since I was going to have radiation. I wanted to try to save it and tried 3 bouts of antibiotics and was in his office 2-3xwk getting fluid drained out to no avail. My skin started to breakdown, this was during my chemo so I'm sure my body was not able to fight the infection. When he pulled the expander out he said I had a seroma under the expander which was feeding all the fluid build-up. It was very hard emotionally for me, I really did not want to have the other reconstructive surgery with a muscle transplant. But the fact that my skin was starting to breakdown I could no longer put my health at risk.
I have come to terms with the fact that I now have to have the muscle transplant surgery (going to do the latissimus flap) I have been without anything on the L since last October. It has been a long wait but I think in the long run I am healthy and am looking forward to surgery in Dec.
I figure if this is the worst I have to worry about ie delaying surgery, I'll take that to any alternatives we as cancer patients could be facing. Hope this helps and hope your infection clears up soon.
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote