View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 AM   #13
sarah

Re: Getting HOSED by my health plan - anyone else?

Hello Stephanie,
Sorry to hear you have to do your own research, that's tough but I know from the Cancer Support Group (for English speakers) that I help start here, often the husbands, boyfriends (men) who are the caregivers can't cope and don't want to accept that you have a deadly disease. We have tried hard to reach out to them and a few times it helped but generally not and in some cases the husband left or left during the tough part. I'm lucky I know in that my husband was fully involved the first time around, this time because it's in French and his French is horrible I'm more on my own but he cooks, etc. and of course there are some very involved male caregivers in our group but I've been told by one of our psychologist members that men don't know how to deal with things they can't fix and they don't like to reach out and ask for help. Hey, they don't even like to ask for directions!!! lol!
Hopefully the info that Brenda (Brenda hope you're doing well) gave you works for you.
I would have thought that the Northwest had good support in place.
I know things are getting tough over there, my sister-in-law is a teacher at a Catholic school (yes a teacher! those damnable greedy people who have run the country into debt!!!! at least that's what they're trying to convince everyone) and she is paying more and more of a co-payment each year although her salary isn't going up. I don't think retire at 65, don't think she can. Lucky she's healthy so far - don't think she can afford not to be! lol! and she's in San Francisco! California is pretty good for making insurance companies pay for regular check -ups and important preventive tests - when the insurance companies complained of the cost and threatened to leave California, California told them to go ahead and leave and they'd set up their own program!!! The insurance companies stayed of course.
Was Breastcancer.org any help? Someone should set up a forum for helping people with these issues because it is complicated and worrying. Maybe next time a public option will be voted in and then we'll see if things become more affordable and fair but with all the money given to corrupt Congress, I doubt it. Most working people I know there pay between $12,000 - $25,000, some paid by their companies which seems a lot. My sister-in-law's share is $6,000.
Makes me proud that my dad, the doctor gave so much free help to his patients who couldn't afford to pay or pay much. I wish he was alive for me to tell him.
hugs and love
sarah