View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
caya

Re: When to get scans, MRI & other tests

Cat,

I am also Canadian, and the standard of care here for early stagers is not to do scans unless you have symptoms. I believe this is also the standard of care in the States as well, I'm sure one of our American sisters will chime in on this topic as well. I understand you are nervous about the non-testing, but many professionals believe that the anxiety associated with testing is very stressful and the risk of distant recurrence is low for early stagers. My onc. did a bone scan (I do not believe this covers the brain), chest xray, pelvic/transvaginal ultrasounds and blood work to aid the correct initial staging diagnosis.

There are tests that I get every year because I ask for them (my GP orders them) - a pelvic/transvaginal ultrasound, bone density (osteopania before treatment, now osteoporosis due to Femara). My onc. sends me for a digital mammogram and a breast MRI alternating every six months because my tumours were missed by a mammo and breast ultrasound due to extreme density - found by my plastic surgeon while doing breast reduction. I once had a cat scan of my brain just after I had finished chemo because I had a headache that lasted 6 days. (All was well, 2 days of percosets did it).

I think as a BC survivor you would be able to get a colonoscopy - your GP could probably order it for you. Is there a family history of colon cancer, or pre-cancerous polyps in your family?

I totally understand how you feel, but thankfully we have Herceptin now which has changed the face of Her2+ BC. I remember my onc. told me I had a "well over 90% cure rate" - yes, he used the word cure. I am nearly 5 years out now, and I can tell you that anxiety level lessens.

I see from your post you are quite young - have you considered getting testing for the BRCA 1 and 2 genes? I had the testing done because I was under 50 at diagnosis and I am of Ashkenazi Jewish descent (higher risk for the genes). I thankfully tested negative for the genes.

Try to focus on the good care you are getting, and not to worry about distant mets too much. You don't often hear about the survivors who are doing well because they are getting on with their lives.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote