View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
musicmama

Unhappy To treat or not to treat VERY early stage HER2 IDC

Hi everyone,

I spoke with my breast surgeon on Friday about the final path results (post op) and I'm feeling more confused than ever. My original biopsy showed DCIS with an area of IDC (.2cm) Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+. After BMX they found very little invasive cancer left (just a few cells - not enough to run oncotype testing). The surgeon seems to think we got most of it out in the original biopsy. SNB showed 0/5. She seems to think that no further treatment is necessary other than 5 years of Tamoxifen (which I have read my not be helpful with HER2 cancers). She also told me that she assumed if we had been able to run oncotype testing that the results would most likely have been high. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the idea that I might not have to go through chemo and Herceptin treatment, but....this is my life we're talking about here! If this cancer was as aggressive as she says and we had found it a few months later, we would be throwing everything at it, Right? Does it make sense that just because we caught it really early we do nothing???

I will be meeting with the first oncologist tomorrow and I'm trying to get in to see a couple of others with HER2 experience at Sloan Kettering and Mount Sinai in NYC. Although I'm really happy we caught this when we did, I'm feeling panicked about what could happen if I make the wrong decision here.

I welcome your thoughts and any advice on all of this.

Thanks for listening!!

musicmama (Rebecca)