View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
chrisy

Re: Bad MRI.Liver Met

michka,
I am not at home right now and have a very poor internet connection where I am. So I haven't been able to find any of the threads on liver mets. But I wanted to respond to you. I have been on the bad news end of scans myself. so I know this news is overwhelming. go ahead and cry but try not to despair.

I can tell you, there are numerous threads here on the issue of liver mets - probably because there are a lot of folks who deal with that issue, and are discussing the many treatment options out there. My point being, there are a lot of people LIVING with liver mets (me being one of them)

The game has changed for you - from hoping (not stupidly, hope is never stupid) the cancer was gone forever, to dealing with a different situation. While stage IV cancer is still not considered curable, it is treatable and can sometimes be managed very well over an extended period of time. And there is much research, including her2 targeted approaches that are really encouraging.

You didn't mention specifically what the MRI revealed - but if you are talking about a single lesion of that size, you may have several good options for local treatment (resection, RFA, cryoablation, etc) that would remove or destroy the met. Usually people back this up with a systemic therapy but many have had great success - some even with curative success - with these options.
Whether you would be a good candidate for these type of treatments depends on the size and location of the lesion but you should definitely investigate these options.

There are also systemic therapies which can be very effective.

Sorry you are having to face this. I just wanted to offer a bit of encouragement that it can be done - that you can do it. Do not lose heart.

chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote