View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
Jean

Re: Arimidex/Fermara ?

Hi Laurel,
I am past my five yrs. now...and the verdit from the onc.
was to continue on AI since the studies that came back
were so strong. The Famara had showed very positive
feedback so much that the Dr. are not thinking of the five year limit. Maybe your dr. will be of a different mind set. Dr. Slamon and my onc. here in the East both advised to remain on.

As far as I am concerned we are the test study.
These are new drugs and we are learning as we move forward. Now of course this may upset some who
would rather have results first then take the drugs.
For me who was highly er positive I have made the choice to remain on Femara. I found that the product CosaminDS made by nutramax to be the best for my joints. I purchase this in CVS or Walgreens. My orthopedic dr. swears by this brand and I have to agree. I take one capsule in the morning and one at night. I also find keeping the weight under control (ugh) helps everything! Exercise and movement is a must - but then we should be doing that anyway even if we did not have breast cancer.

The early studies with Femara are impressive. So with that I move ahead. I was hoping that in the near future we her2 gals who are er positive would be able to have treatment with just hercpetin and AI. I believe there is a study on that at present. That data will be interesting
but that study may not be for early stage gals. (not sure).

Hang in there Laurel...
hugs,Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo