View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Becky

Re: Removing Ovaries

I had my ovaries removed but I was 46. I did so for a variety of reasons. One is that I was only moderately ER+ but PR neg (as well as highly Her2+) and Tamoxifen usually does not work well in that situation. I was in chemopause but 7 months after my last chemo my period came back and I wanted to get the ovaries removed to take an AI. Secondly, my paternal grandmother died from ovarian cancer - a cancer that I believe is not as treatable as breast.

Since I was premenopausal when removing the ovaries, but the side effects weren't apparent at first. My onc didn't want me to start the Arimidex until about 3 weeks after surgery so we could bring the estrogen down gradually. Since your ovaries aren't there to produce, it takes about a month for your body to rid of the excess that is not produced by the adrenal gland and fat cells (it is this estrogen the AIs stop). So, my onc did not want me to go into a severe slide. After that, and then adding Arimidex, I did have vaginal dryness issues and I did go through a period of bladder infections too (there are estrogen receptors on the bladder so the bladder does thin out too and some women can get alot of bladder infections when going thru menopause. I was certainly one of those women but have no problems now).

I did not have severe hot flashes either although some women do. I still will have a flash now and again (and I am over 5 yrs out from the ooph).

It is a simple surgery with an easy recovery. If I think of anything else, I will post again.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote