View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Rich66

Re: Avastin & What Chemo?

It's been combined with Abraxane..a reformulation of Taxol which can work when Taxol has "failed".
I have also seen one patient on another site get to NED via Xeloda/Avastin.
The article Jackie posts is interesting to me since the success stories mentioned have continued their use..alone or when changing accompanying chemos. My sense..and some edumacated folks' contention, is that it might be the kind of drug that once begun, should be perpetually continued. (I imagine a lap band patient getting thin, then ballooning back up when the band is removed) Given the cost of the drug, I doubt that has typically been done in the studies being reviewed. Some argue there are other instances where uninformed administration protocols have hampered results and approvals. For example, non standardization of time of day might explain some of the difference between time regimented mouse and unregulated human studies. Dr. Hrushesky is a major proponent of chronotherapy and contends TNF was derailed because its toxicity was highly dependent on time of day administered.
There may be other less expensive and less toxic ways to get a similar antiangiogenic effect. Metronomic delivery of drugs and supplements seem to offer some of this. Nexavar/Sorafenib might be an upcoming option as well.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote