View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
bejuce

Aunt just diagnosed, now what?

I just found out that my maternal aunt, my mother's younger sister who is her 60s, has been diagnosed with IDC (Er+, PR-, not sure of her HER-2 status yet). I don't know many details, except that she's had surgery (a lumpectomy), is doing chemo, and will do radiation next. Now we officially have a family history starting. My dad told me that my maternal grandmother also had a niece that had breast cancer and a male relative with prostate cancer, which is news to me.

I felt horrible when I learned of her diagnosis because one of the first things that came to my mind was an emotional reaction of "see, there's a family history, now you know the cause". I know the thought should not have even crossed my mind, but I felt vindicated somehow that perhaps there's something in our genes after all and I don't have to blame my cancer on stress/diet/having kids after 30, living in the Bay Area, and so on (silly, I know).

In any case, I'm concerned as to what this will mean for my daughters, my sister, and mom (who is now 73). My sister especially is freaking out - she's 36 and pregnant with her 2nd, and already said that she will have her breasts removed next year as she's convinced she's next. I don't have the BRCA mutation, but do have a "variant of unknown significance, favors polymorphism".

So now I'm wondering if I should do anything more drastic with my treatment (which has already been pretty strong given my tumor) and remove my ovaries or opt for the Lupron/Zoladex shots.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Marcia

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote