View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #116
libbyshope

Re: Joe passed on this evening

Dear Christine, Danielle & Deborah,

I was deeply saddened yesterday to hear about Joe’s passing. I want you to know that Joe and all of you are in my thoughts and prayers. The HER2 breast cancer advocacy community has lost a true cancer warrior. I have lost a dear friend and cancer advocacy mentor. In Mitch Albom’s book entitled, Tuesdays With Morrie, the terminally ill Morrie teaches Mitch (one of Morrie’s former college students) that the way you obtain meaning in your life is to devote yourself to loving others, helping the community around you, and creating something that gives you purpose and meaning. By this or any other measure, Joe lived a full and meaningful life dedicated to his faith, his family, and the HER2 breast cancer community.

In that same book, Morrie instructs Mitch that “death ends a life, not a relationship.” Morrie states that as long as we can love each other and remember this feeling of love, we can die without ever going away because all of the love that we have created will still remain. He states that after we die, we live on in the hearts of everyone we have touched and nurtured while alive on earth. All members of the HER2 Support Group community will forever carry Joe’s memory in their hearts and minds.

I have known Joe and Christine since 2002. They assisted me, like many of you, when my mother was diagnosed with HER2 positive breast cancer. I have no doubt that my mom is alive today as an 8-year, stage IV breast cancer survivor because of the invaluable guidance that they provided to me and my family. After I lost my 26-year old cousin to ovarian cancer in 2008, I started a website in her memory called Libby’s H*O*P*E*. The website is based, in large part, on the many advocacy lessons that I learned from Joe & Christine. As if Joe did not have enough to do in 2009, he instructed me on a voluntary basis with respect to various methods to better promote the website. In the end, the co-founder of the HER2 Support Group not only helped countless women with that specific subtype of breast cancer, he helped unknowingly many ovarian cancer survivors as well.

Remember Me

Based upon instructions from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II (“Her Majesty”), a poem entitled, She Is Gone, was recited at the Queen Mother’s funeral, which was held in Westminster Abbey on April 9, 2002. The poem recitation sparked a glut of media interest because of its simple, upbeat nature – and mystery author, who was credited in the service program as “Anon” [i.e., Anonymous]. Apparently, Her Majesty found the poem while leafing through old memorial service books and she chose it to be read at her mother’s funeral, where it struck a chord with millions of mourners.

After the conclusion of the Queen Mother’s funeral, the BBC, The Times, and other U.K. media outlets took great effort to identify the author, with attributions going to, among others, Immanuel Kant and Joyce Grenfell. Eventually, it was discovered that the true author was Mr. David Harkins, who wrote the poem in 1981 while working at a bakery. Mr. Harkins, who now works as an artist selling paintings over the Internet, said he “couldn’t believe his eyes” when he saw his poetry published in several newspapers after the funeral.

Quite shocked by all of the media attention, David Harkins sent the original manuscript of the poem originally entitled, “Remember Me,” to Prince Charles (of Wales), and St. James’s Palace later replied thanking Mr. Harkins for explaining its origin. The reply received by David Harkins from the Prince of Wales’ office stated: “I have no doubt that it [Remember Me] will be reproduced on many occasions over the years to come. The Prince of Wales has asked me to send you his very best wishes.”

I chose to include Remember Me as part of my tribute to Joe for two reasons. First, the poem is instructive as to how Joe would want all of us to continue on with our lives, including breast cancer advocacy, energized by our kind and loving memories of him. Second, Joe would undoubtedly find great joy and humor in the fact that a talented baker from a small U.K. town became famous worldwide for his literary prowess rather than his pastries.

So, the next time that we think of Joe, we should heed the message set forth in the final line of the poem Remember Me: “… Or you can do what he would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.”

The full text of Remember Me is provided below.

Remember Me

You can shed tears that he is gone

Or you can smile because he has lived

You can close your eyes and pray that he will come back

Or you can open your eyes and see all that he has left

Your heart can be empty because you can’t see him

Or you can be full of the love that you shared

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday

Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday

You can remember him and only that he is gone

Or you can cherish his memory and let it live on

You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back

Or you can do what he would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

– written by David Harkins, Silloth, Cumbria, U.K. (1981)(Note: all female references appearing in the original poem were changed to male references)

With Deepest Sympathy,
Paul Cacciatore
Founder, Libby's H*O*P*E*
"Libby's H*O*P*E*" (Facebook Cause)
libbyshope is offline   Reply With Quote