View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Chelee

Re: Have to get a port - anything I should know?

I've had two ports put in since my orignal dx. Each time I have had a port placed it took about 2 hrs total. They were both day procedures...just needed someone to drive me home. I felt absolutely nothing..painless. However as Sandra said I too had a bad reaction to that clear tape they placed over my port...so keep an eye on that. Mine got so red, sore and almost looked infected. Once it was removed it cleared up.

I was talked into the Bard Power Port which is nice since it can be accessed for PET/CT's...saves the arms. But yes the procedure is straight forward as you said. The only thing is some minor discomfort for about a wk after it's placed. When you get home they just want you to keep it clean and dry which is easy with the dressing they place over it. There really isn't much too it. Colleen had good advice...you really don't want your bra strap rubbing on your port as it can get painful. So don't forget the sharpie. You will be glad you got one placed...makes things so much easier on you. Good luck.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote