View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Nancy L

Re: New to the Group

So sorry you have to join this club. I was diagnosed in 2004 with a worse diagnosis (7cm 11 positive nodes) but similar protocol to what they are suggesting for you. My breast cancer was also not detected on mammography and neither was my sisters who also had a large tumor (7cm). These early detection tests work for some but give a false sense of security for those of us where they don't work at all.

My sister and I were both educated, health and fitness nuts, had all our regular exams,etc. but this disease still hit us. So don't beat yourself up. You did everything you could and the sad fact is that it still happens to many women.

I also elected to say on Herceptin long past when they recommend but it made me feel secure----at least I was doing something. But I am now going to a breast cancer guru, Dr. Slamon (watch the movie Living Proof if you don't know who he is). He told me Herceptin probably didn't provide much protection for me after two years.

You will get through the Chemo/Rads fine. It is not as difficult as you probably imagine. I only lost 10 lbs during the whole ordeal and gained it back after treatment. My most favorite meal after chemo was won ton soup, miso soup or homemade chicken noodle soup.

Stay strong---you can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote