View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
vlcarr

Re: Me & the Chemo Kitty Wrigley at Best Friends Sanctuary

Oh Valerie, that is so exciting and I'm so envious. Dogtown is one of my fav shows. I love cats and had them all my life but am the owner of 3 rescued dogs now.

Before I got cancer I was a foster parent for about 8 homeless dogs (one at a time!). Right after I was diagnosed, I brought home little Peanut (jack russell, chic mix) to foster and knew within an hour she would become part of the family.

So, now I have Chloe, the bulldog, who's had cancer twice and is the elder and boss of house. She's about 9 years old. She was used as a breeder and discarded when she was still full of milk from giving birth. She didn't even know how to play.

Then I adopted Zeus, the dreaded pit bull breed, who is the best behaved of all my dogs. They tried to make him fight, he had heartworms and was afraid of everything. After some training classes, he is much better but still has to have tranquilizers during thunderstorms.

I don't know what I would do without my 3 babies. They truly make this cancer battle more bearable and make me laugh all the time. At least 2 of them are usually piled in the bed with me when I feel bad.

Animals truly can teach us how to live in the moment and they are such great therapy for me.

I admire what you did so much and truly understand what a rewarding experience that must have been. I enjoyed the pics and article very much. Maybe I could do that one day

Getting ready to start radiation soon.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote