View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Gerri

Re: Tykerb SE's -OUCH!!

jml,

I have no experience with Tykerb, but have had a few of the SEs you are experiencing when I was on chemo and Herceptin.

I had extremely painful ingrown toenails on both big toes. It got so bad I could only wear open toe shoes and couldn't even tolerate having a sheet across my feet. I finally made an appointment with a podiatrist. I had "surgery" on both toes and have been fine ever since. My nails were growing into the sides (curved on both sides of the entire nail) as well as up at the corners. The surgery consisted of cutting out both sides of the nails all the way down, he then put something where the nail was cut out that will prevent the nail from ever growing back on the sides - my nails grow and look normal. He only did one toe at a time so I could heal and still be able to walk. The most painful part - and it was quite painful - was the shot to numb the toe. I have a high tolerance to pain and that one brought tears to my eyes. It was definitely worth it though because I haven't had any problems since. Not sure if this is an option for you since you are in active treatment, but it seems that having an infection is not a good thing either.

I still get spilt fingers and have tried many things so I am looking forward to any suggestions you may get from others.

Best of luck resolving these issues. You are such a brave warrior and I truly admire your fighting spirit.

With best wishes,
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote