View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Rich66

Re: A Message from Dr. Love about the New Mammography Guidelines

Quote:
Screening turns up lots of tiny abnormalities that are either not cancer or are slow-growing cancers that would never progress to the point of killing a woman and might not even become known to her. If a suspicious abnormality is found,
women usually get another mammogram or imaging test to better identify it and often a biopsy to determine if it is cancerous. If it is, most women have it treated with surgery, radiation, hormone therapy or chemotherapy, all of which carry risks for the patient.
Quote:
The scientific argument is that it is not worth taking such risks for the large number of women whose cancers grow too slowly to kill them

Well..that scenario, process and "science" would apply to all screening at any age. But..if a slow growing tumor is found in a young woman, it could be argued it has a greater chance of killing her since it has a greater head start. In fact, it is pretty well established that BC in younger patients tends to be the more aggressive types. More aggressive cancer, undetected..over a longer period of time. Hmmm.
I remember hearing this thinking about older women years ago. Now it's being played out at the other end of the age bracket.

That's a logical (I think) way to look at it. And it also fits with people's intuition and years of PSAs. Makes it a hard sell from both angles.

And yeah..mammography is oversold in the sense that it also has significant false negatives. I wonder how many women have taken false assurance from a negative mammo and stopped any self-exam. I forgot..those are unnecessary.

But..I'm glad it won't get run up the beancounter's flagpole. Might keep an eye on it anyway.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote