View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
robind

Re: Would Love your 2 cents....

I was taking Boniva for osteopenia. Got finished with chemo and after taxol/herceptin combo continued with Herceptin. My oncologist felt strongly that I should be on Zometa. I've been post menopausal for a few years. She felt the benefits to me would be significant...did not feel the Boniva or Fosamax prior to that was doing very much. My dexa scan in a year improved ever so slightly. Her suggestion for me to take Zometa was based on the benefit overall (ie, some positive data with regard to protect from a recurrance - albiet small, but still positive. and, the increased protection to the bones). I wasn't totally on board at first. I researched and contacted www.hopkinsbreastcenter.org and corresponded with Lillie Shockney,RN. She is with the Hopkins school of nursing/Avon Foundation Breast Center. She was wonderful and answered all my concerns and helped me make a more infomed decision. She replyed to my queerie the same day.
Zometa is iv every 6 months...actonel is monthly? Has your last dexa scan improved from the previous one? If not or slightly like me, then that could also be another good argument for taking Zometa has it does have good results overall in the repair of bones.
Contact Lillie Shockney via email (shockli@jhmi.edu) and ask your questions. Best to you and a warm hug. I know each decision we make are not easy ones but we are masters in getting answers! Take care, Robin
robind is offline   Reply With Quote