View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #51
DianneS

Re: HER2 positive and 10 years out?

Hi Jacqueline (Lien)

And thank you for your post. It really helped me. Ever thought about being a bc counselor? You have a great way with words.

I completely agree about exercise. I tried to walk, even if only a few minutes, during chemo and have been walking almost daily. Plus my hubby and I are going to Qigong classes (similar to T'ai Chi) once a week for an hour. I have learned to pace myself otherwise I will try to hike AND kayak all in the same day & be very sorry afterwards. Herceptin makes me tired a lot and I will be glad when it's done. One more Oct. 8.

Relationships...being in chemo for months is hard on relationships...the energy to do things just isn't there. So, you lose some friends along the way. I was warned about that on many bc sites. Some people just can't handle a friend having this disease. Plus I have had (as you read) some medical issues since 2004 and I guess people are tired of it. Not 1/2 as tired of it as me!

Can I ask why you didn't do Herceptin? Or would you prefer to PM me about that? I have re-thought my decision to have chemo/Herceptin many times and sometimes wish I had gone another route. I wasn't given much time to consider all of the options. I am not strongly ER or PR positive as you are, so maybe for me it was a good choice.

I would love to attach an avatar of me in my kayak but I don't know how to do avatars. We have sit-on-top kayaks, abs plastic, not fiberglas. But they are easy to get in & out of as no skirts are needed around the seats. It is also self bailing. We bought them in 1999 and this summer was the first summer they didn't go out much. About your arm/shoulder - I broke my shoulder and upper arm in 2003 in Feb. and was back kayaking in May. My orthopedic said 'no way'. Ha. It was the best thing I could have done to exercise and stretch it and I don't have any range of motion issues at all.

You live on the sea as well....can you rent kayaks there? I have never been in a canoe, but that sounds like fun too! There are 2 person kayaks - could always let someone else do the paddling while you relax?

A reunion in Tampa! Sounds like a nice bunch of women.
I would love to go to Florida again - I have family there in Ocala. Just not sure I can afford it right now. It's on the other side of the coast of Canada from where I am. I'll check into the website you sent though. If there's a way to get there I will try!

How should I send you some photos?

Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote