View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
Joan M

This is very interesting to me but I admit I don't understand exactly how it works.

I'll be 56 in October. So far I'm able to work full time, but the company had layoffs recently and there's been a so-called "temporary" 10% salary cut, so who knows what's next.

(If I were layed off now I could still work but that would mean going to a new job with advanced cancer, which to me would be very stressful. I mean, what do I say at a job interview about needing to come in late morning every three weeks on Tuesday because I go for my Herceptin treatment, or when I have to go for scans or doctors' appointments? I realize I'm not obligated by law to tell my cancer history, but the whole setup would be stressful, like a sword hanging over my head or waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'd worry about it every day. I've been at this company for about three years, after being forced to look for new employment because my former employer of almost 10 years relocated to N.C.)

What is the most pared-down disability scenario? That is, without working part time. Would it be normal to go on short-term disability first and then long-term disability through the company, and apply for SSDI while on LTD? I also understand that advanced cancer patients have a two-year wait for Medicare. Even though dialysis and ALS patiets are eligible immediately.

Pam: What's confusing to me is how do you work part-time and the company (they?) still pays for their share of your benefits? Doesn't LTD run out?

-If I am approved (and the policy states that stage 4 bc qualifies) my full disability begins at the 3rd month. They will begin to pay my monthly health premiums (I keep my same Blue Cross coverage), plus 2/3 of my pension conribution plus 2/3 of my salary.

Also, Colleen, how is it that the LTD carrier is still supplementing you 2.5 years later? Again, doesn't it run out?

Lori, I would agree in that it seems very hard to get straight "official" answers about these issues.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote