View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #25
Savta

This thread has come to me at such an appropriate time! I have been battling a mini-depression (I hope) these last few weeks. I finished my year of Herceptin six weeks ago. And now I find myself battling with the questions "What do I do now?" I haven't gone back to work, because I still have numbness in my fingers and I'm afraid of dropping things. (I am a dental assistant).
I too have friends, who were so close with us, who have seemed to already write me off at the start. You know the type. They come to visit, but they have one eye on their watch and one on the door, for a quick escape. I haven't been angry with them--just sad, because I miss the good friendships we had. One couple in particular that we used to go out with often, and even vacation with--never called to suggest we get together. People just don't get it--that the nature of having cancer issolates us enough--we don't need more issolation!
Now, I find I don't leave the house at all(except for my regular walks) and generally no one comes and no one calls. T he wonderful people who stepped up while I was being treated now no longer come around because I'm "well" now. And my older friends have already written me off.
Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband and children and sibbilings who call often(we live thousands of miles from them).
But it's my everyday that I'm having trouble getting through.
Savta is offline   Reply With Quote