View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
DanaRT

Angry Please help my cousin's friend--

Hello all, I have not posted in a long time. Today was a milestone for me. My port was removed this morning.

However, I am posting this because there is a woman who needs assistance in getting further treatment.

How can this happen? I have Anthem BCBS...

This is the desperate message she sent --

"I need everyone's help in a nightmare situation. The chemo drugs I was on have stopped working. My onc. wants to put me on a combo of drugs called TYKERB (GlaxoSmithKline) and XELODA (Roche). These drugs have a good and proven track record for treating my type of BC. Unfortunately, I'm not covered by my current insurance because they don't cover brand name drugs or specialty pharmacy drugs (thanks Anthem BCBS). I've applied to numerous financial assistance programs and am told I don't qualify because they only cover assistance with co-pay. These drugs are almost $6000 per month. Obviously, I can't pay for these out of pocket.

Now here's the thing. Sometimes breast cancer patients are put on these drugs, get the prescription filled and then the drug stops working for them and they then have a small supply of the drugs that they can't use. Usually these drugs get thrown in the trash. Sometimes they get "donated" to cancer clinics so they aren't wasted, but cancer clinics can't accept them because of legality issues. What I'm asking is that if you know someone who might have been on these drugs then please forward them my name & number. Also, please tell everyone you know this story. What I'm asking you to do is technically illegal, so if you're not comfortable doing this then I completely understand. Sadly, for me, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Thank you for your time,

Kim

Thanks for any help you can offer. This just doesn't seem right.

Take care and big hugs,
Dana

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08