View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
Laurel

Darita,

So your ONJ began with a scrape from a bite wing? Can you please try to recall your earliest symptoms?

I began to have pain after flossing my back molar. I always try to get into the space between the gum and that last molar. There is no apparent inflammation visible, but I developed a throb in that rear molar area, mainly behind that last molar. It has lessened over the past 10 days. The question is: why? I followed my dentist's recommendation (and MaryAnne's and Sherry's) to avoid chewy and hard foods, gum, and monitor for clenching. I also stopped the Clondronate. Now which is it the chicken or the egg?????

Despite these measures the "awareness" of that lower posterior jaw area remains. I decided to resume the Clondronate, a bisphosphanate, this morning to see how things go. I am hoping this is just TMJ which should continue to resolve. I suppose it could be a problem with the molar itself, although it is not where I feel the discomfort, but pain can radiate along the nerve. I do have an old filling in that tooth. I promised myself I'd follow up on the problem with my dentist if it persists. I am wondering if TMJ occurs on just one side and won't it be painful with mastication?

I very much want to protect my bones, but naturally I want to be proactive if there is a problem developing. I have learned to listen to my body with things such as this.

Any detail you can recall from your initial symptoms will be very much appreciated, Darita. Thank you for responding to my post.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote