View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Laurel

Thanks, Sherry, I think I will try one of those over the counter mouth guard thingies. My jaw does feel a bit improved today. I have been staying away from chewy foods so perhaps that is making a difference.

To answer Susan's question, I am taking Clondronate, a bisphosphonate, to strengthen my bones to help prevent metastasis. The theory that bisphosphonates help to prevent mets has been born out in studies, but now they want to see which med is most effective with the fewest side effects. The trial is with the 3 drugs: Zometa, Boniva, and Clondronate. I was computer randomized to Clondronate which is taken daily in the morning.

If I continue to have this bit of what I am hoping is a bout of TMJ resolve, I will resume the Clondronate asap. I must admit it is a drag having to wait an hour to have my morning coffee. If I wake up to pee in the early morning hours, I stumble downstairs, pop the pills, hit the recliner and snooze until morning. You must remain upright post ingestion of the med for an hour. On these nights I am able to grab my coffee when my eyes open again. It's not the best solution. The recliner isn't all that comfy in the upright position, but I don't have to occupy myself for an hour before I may eat or drink in the morning.

If I had drawn the Zometa arm I would have had monthly infusions for six months, then I think it went to every three months. The study continues for 3 years. Had I drawn Boniva I would only have had to wait a half hour for my coffee! I sometimes wonder if I'll make 3 years with this stuff because it does muddle my mornings. It's then that I remind myself of the battle at hand and that this is another weapon to arm myself with against BC!

Thanks for all your concern!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote