View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
Janelle

Eric,
I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt's diagnosis. I have a friend in Los Angeles who is a 20 year breast cancer survivor (she was diagnosed at age 30 with breast cancer) and was diagnosed at age 37 with multiple myeloma.

My friend's doctor is in Los Angeles but he specializes in multiple myeloma. His name is Dr. James Berenson. I've met with Dr. Berenson personally as I went to an appt with my friend after we thought she came out of remission recently (false alarm by the way). She's been in remission for 13 years! (Sadly, Dr. Berenson told me he suspects that my friend's silicone implants triggered her multiple myeloma which was hard to hear for her and me since I also have silicone implants too).

Also, I have a good friend in NYC whose father was treated for multiple myeloma. Her dad passed away of a heart attack but my friend joined "Team Continuum" and ran the NYC marathon to raise money for blood cancer patients. I think you should check out this link: www.teamcontinuum.net. Check out the board of directors and look up Paul, the team leader. Paul Nicholls started the team and is a multiple myeloma survivor. My friend, Lauren, told me he will talk to anyone about multiple myeloma when I reached out to her for help for my other friend, Cheryl. The board of directors also contains names of doctors not affliliated with Sloan. Please PM me if you want more info.

Best,
Janelle
vascular invasion
multifocal disease
Lumpectomy November, 2006
A/C every 3 weeks (started Jan., 2007 and finished March 2007); followed weekly Taxol (finished June 2007) concurrent with Herceptin (finished March 2008);
Bilateral Mast with immediate recon in Sept 2007; finished recon Dec. 2007
Started 5 years of tamoxifen Nov. 2007; started peptide vaccine clinical trial at MD Anderson October 2008 and finished active part of trial in April 2009 (monthly injections of AE37 peptitde (HLA type specific) with GM-CSF or GM-CSF alone depending on if I was in experimental or control group); started Zometa infusions June 25, 2009- 4mg every 6 months for 3 years (taking it "off-label" to try to prevent mets)
Janelle is offline   Reply With Quote