View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
wtfsanjo

as far as i know (and i've spent many hours trying to figure out this tamoxifen thing) it doesn't matter if you're a good metabolizer or not - even if you fully metabolize it, you cancer cells - because they are Her2+ - will still be resistant to the tamoxifen.

the only thing that menopausal status impacts is what sort of hormone therapies are available to you. tamoxifen can be used by both pre and post-menopausal women. aromatase inhibitors (femara, arimidex) are only for use in postmenopausal women. luckily, medical science can turn any premenopausal woman into a postmenopausal one through either ovarian suppression (shots to shut down your ovaries) or ovary removal (oopherectomy). aromatase inhibitors have been shown to be more effective than tamoxifen overall, and certainly are more effective in Her2+ patients.

i know it sounds scary to "shut down" your ovaries, but even at 28 with no kids i was 100% on board until my onc decided that 10% progesterone positivity wasn't enough to merit such aggressive care.

like hopeful said - ask a lot of question of your onc - and of people on this board. i hang out primarily at the young survival coalition board, and as knowledgeable as those women are - the women over here on Her2support are like scientists!

k
ER-/PR+(10%)/Her2+++
grade 3 (9/9), Ki-67 85%
DD AC/DD T, herceptin, tamoxifen
bilateral mastectomy w/ saline impants
wtfsanjo is offline   Reply With Quote