View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Becky

Sometimes things cannot be explained because no one's tumor can be completely analyzed for all the potential tumor markers yet. Each of us and our cancers are snowflakes - individual and different from each other. Even those of us here on this board - some are triple positive, some hormone negative (or only positive for one hormone or the other). But still different because none of us know that we might be positive for Her1 or IGR or something that no one has heard of yet.

I understand your feelings because when I was in active treatment there were 4 of us in our late 30s to early 40s having chemo. Weirdly, 3 of us were Her2+ (one triple positive, one hormone negative and me (only ER+)). All of us had at least one node involved. Then there was another woman who had no nodes, was Her2 neg, highly ER+/PR+ and a 2cm tumor. She recurred last May (15 months ago) to the sternum and lungs. She is doing ok but none the less... I recently bumped into the girl who was Her2+ and hormone positive. She too is doing well as is the Her2+ but hormone neg girl (I say "girl" because they are still in their 30's). We both remarked that if any of the 4 of us recurred, we never thought it would be the one would did. Perhaps it was the Herceptin as we were all 3 back in the chemo room 4 months later as soon as Herceptin was available and took it "later" after chemo was done. We will never know and neither will you. It is a nasty disease and some of us get dealt a nastier deck of cards. I am sorry this happened to your friend and I will be thinking about you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote