Thread: her2 serum test
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
Jean

The Her2 Serum test is a biomarker test for tumor cells in the blood, it is rather new and many dr. are not using it. It does not inform you if herceptin is working for you. Rather it will show amount of her2 serum levels in the blood which would help you monitor your treatments.

Remember that during treatment you could be shedding dead cells into the blood and your levels may not indicate that herceptin is not working - maybe the chemo is not /so/a change in the chemo maybe the answer.

While we were out in S.D. we all had dinner with the
dr. who was the inventor of the test.

It is primarily for those who are in treatment for metastatic disease in order to check levels and to monitor if the treatment is working. It is important to have the test prior to treatment in order to achieve a base line.

Now, for those on cutting edge...this reminds me of the Oncotype DX test...in its early days, now being used by many onc. to determine if chemo should be used taking the guess work out of the equation, instead of using tumor size and node status, the Oncotype DX goes to the source, your very own gene makeup.

When I was speaking with the dr. he felt it would be a good idea to have a base line by having the test, my onc. in NJ does not use it for those with early stage.
I have not discussed it with Dr. Slamon/to ask if this is worth while. It is not invasive/so/if anyone is concerned it is just a blood test (I do not know the cost) but as Brenda mentions it is not written in stone yet and certainly not for early stagers, just yet. If anyone is interested I would be happy to contact the
dr. who invented the test and find out how much the cost is. I had planned on having the test as a baseline for myself. But my markers have been low as I go in for my 3 month checkups and I have felt satisfied.

Also, remember when having treatment in the early days and months of treatment the tumor cells are shedding and the level could be high so the test is
not ready for prime time just yet.

Ah, it seems we get one answer and then more quesions?

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.
I have posted a link.
http://diagnostics.siemens.com/webap...Id~e_10001.htm

Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 07-17-2008 at 06:37 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote