View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
Emmay

Hi Dee1969,

I am sorry to hear that your dr. suspects 2 new brain mets, but if they are in fact mets, it's good that they are small and easily treated with Stereotactic RadioSurgery. You don't mention how long you've been on Tykerb -- it's been effective for some Her2+ women with bc mets to the brain (since it crosses the blood-brain barrier) so if you've just started it, maybe you want to give it a little more time.

If you have been on Tykerb for a while and it turns out there are 2 new lesions, Temodar and/or Temodar plus Xeloda is being used for bc brain mets effectively with some women(look up PattyZ's posts). My sister was on Temodar+Sorafenib (an anti-angiogenesis agent similar to Avastin) and it worked very well for a while, but she was steadily losing too much weight (due to diarrhea - not everyone has this problem) so she had to switch. Before that, she was treated effectively for several years with Cyberknife RadioSurgery for brain mets as they appeared, usually 2-3 small lesions at a time.

If you are very worried about suddenly having many brain mets, there's also the possibility of Whole Brain Radiation, but there are mixed feelings about that treatment - some in favor, some opposed. You should be sure to read through the Metastasis - Brain CNS section on this site. Also, check out brainmetsbc.org.

You still have options. My sister has been through many treatments, and we were told before she started the CPT-11(Irinotecan)+Avastin treatment that we would be in somewhat uncharted territory. We are very happy that her lesions showed rapid shrinkage - however her white blood cell count dropped and she is being followed closely - they are trying to define the fine line between maximum effectiveness and toxicity in her dosage.

I wish you the very best.

Emmay

Emmay - My sister's history:
6/03 Her2+,ER-PR-Breast Cancer, IIb, 7/03 lumpec. rt.brst
9/03 Begin chemo-AC+T
2/04 Mastectomy for local recurrence
3/04 Begin Herceptin, 5/04 Rad to mastec.site
9/04 Recurring Headaches=brain mets
10/04 Craniotomy #1 - rem. 3 br. mets, 11/04 WBR
2/05 Begin Lapatinib(Tykerb) Clinical Trial
5/05 Craniotomy #2 - remove largest brain mets
7/05 Stereotactic Radiation to 2-3 brain mets
10/05 - 3/07 CyberKnife Radiation Treatments for sm brain mets as they arose. Cont. Herceptin
5/07 Begin Temodar+Sorafenib for brain mets
2/08 Begin Tykerb(Lapatinib)+Xeloda for br. mets
5/08 MRI&Biopsy shows ext.new disease, some necrosis
5/08 Begin CPT-11(Irinotecan)+Avastin for br.mets
6/08-4/09 MRIs look great! cont. Herceptin
3/09 Stop CPT-11, brain CTclear-some nausea,backpain
4/09 Scans=pleura,liver,bone mets.
New Rx Herceptin+Avastin+Xeloda
6/09 new Rx Carboplatin+Herceptin
Emmay is offline   Reply With Quote