Thread: melanoma?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
dhealey

Leslie,
My son-in-law was diagnosised last Oct. with stage III melanoma it has spread to the sentinle node in his leg. He first found a mole on the inside of his foot where it hasn't been exposed to the sun. His was very deep and into the 3rd layer of skin. Since then they have found several on his back and chest all were deep and stage 3. The lymph node in his leg has been removed and he now suffers from lymphedema. They first treated him with IV interferon every day for 1 month and felt that would be enough. He finished up in January and in Feburary 3 more moles showed up on his chest all positive for melanoma. He is now giving himself interferon injections 3 times a week for ll months. We are trying to get him into 2 different clinical trials in MD. One is using the drug Gleevec and another is using some kind if immuno therapy. If the melanoma is caught early and only on the top layer of skin, your chances are very good for cure rate. Unless they come up with something new, my son-in-law has about 5-7 years. He is only 35. This has been so devastating to me. I am constantly researching alternate treatments or trials to get him into. He went to John Hopkins and Pittsburg for second opinions. He lives in Lancaster, PA. Recently they have had success with treating a 79 year old woman with end stage melanoma with the drug Gleevec. Her tumors started strinking after being on the drug only 2 weeks. She is being treated in Boston. I believe a Dana Farber. Article was published in the AMA Medicle Journal in April of this year. Best of luck to you.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote