Thread: MS questions
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #11
AbbyDawg

Joan M

Hi Joan!

Where are you from in NY?

SUNY on Long Island saved my life. There were three of us in MN with advanced Lyme in the 1990s and I am the only one that survived. And I was the only one that fought to get treatment in NY. I felt the best treatment would be to go to doctors as close to Lyme , CT, as I could get. Then noticed most of the top researchers were at SUNY.

I hit the jackpot. I DID have Lyme and they treated it with IV antibiotics and not steroids. Those who had advanced neurologic Lyme here in MN, most drs. were convinced it was MS, so used steroids, and the infections ran wild and patients died. My dr. at SUNY is Dr. Patricia Coyle ... one of the top Lyme researchers in the world AND one of the top five MS doctors in the world ... a match made in heaven for me!

After my Lyme IV treatment, tests eventually showed my infection had brought out MS, and with the new non-steroidal treatments, I was on my way. But I lost two dear friends, Hillary and Joanne, in the process.

I agree, the next step after MRI is lumbar puncture. Not a pleasant test but easier at first. I have had 18 of them over the years. First ones easy but now I have scar tissue so I avoid them unless absolutely necessary ... which is hardly ever after years of firm MS diagnosis.

AbbyDawg LOVES NY!!!!!
AbbyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote