View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
BethC

Brenda, yes totally normal. Tell your oncologist/nurse and they will adjust your meds for next time. That's the only way they know what works for you - trial and error and tweaking the dosages - so let them know. They don't want you to feel badly and they will give you more or different drugs to help. For me they added Emend, tripled the dexamethazone and added Ativan. It made a world of difference. They also had me take prilosec starting the day of chemo for a few days. And Tagamet right before the chemo.

The mouth sores are a bummer and they mean that your white blood cell count is low. If you start to run a fever of 100.4 go to the er right away and call your oncologist. The neulasta helps build white cells but does make you feel sore/tired.

I used a mouthwash and toothpaste called Biotene, which was mild and helped with the mouth sores.

For me, I felt like I had the flu for about 10 days after each treatment session. On day 11 I started to feel better and felt pretty good by the next infusion.

Hang in there, you'll feel better soon. The first time is the hardest.

Love,
Beth
Er+Pr+Her+++
Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin
10-1-07 -- 1-16-08
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 9/24/08
Lump. and node dissection 2-12-08
BRCA1 and 2 negative
30 rads finished 4-23-08
oophorectomy 5-6-08
Femara started 5/25/08
Zometa for osteoporosis every 6 mo. started 9-24-08