View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
mts

Brenda-

So sorry you are feeling so poorly- and yes- totally normal. You can however, be a bit more prepared for the next infusion by premedicating with anti-nausea meds.
For me, the nausea triggered everything else. I took zofran the day of and after chemo -even when I had no symptoms and then had no symptoms at all !
Motion sickness is also part of it. Don't forget the chemo is also ransacking your hormone factory and this can cause side effects like motion sickness and pretty much anything else. Hot flashes, joint aches and even dry cracked heels are pretty common. You are getting the side effects of what chemo does to your body. Just think of it as working !!!
I did not get mouth sores, but my mother did- she had a recipe that was concocted by the pharmacist that included a base of pepto-bismol (it "sticks" to labial/lingual tissues) plus lidocaine and some kind of hemmorhoidal liquid--all mouth friendly stuff... it tasted fine and really soothed her mouth sores. Pretty much any pharmacist should be able to make something for you or at least the onc nurse will have some ideas as well. The vomiting certainly does not help mouth sores- so keep it fresh with water and lightly diluted salt. I know it sounds like it would hurt, but it really doesn't. Also, you can use cold, wet tea bags that have been chilled in the fridge. The tannic acid in the tea minimizes blood flow and keeps tissues from inflaming. Wrap the tea bag in something that wont let the teabag explode if you bite it, or just soak some soft gauze in pure, undiluted tea.

I never was one to thake even aspirin and was quite hesitant to premed with the zofran when I had no symptoms. But now I just sea it as a huge leap in the right direction. I am now a firm believer in the benefits of drugs.
Stay hydrated- eat ice chips if you can't swallow- you will find your rhythm- and you will get through it all.
I have said this before- watch out for constipation. If that has not hit you yet- it likely will. THAT was the most uncomfortable part of chemo for me.

Hang in there woman !!!!

maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote